The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Sunday, October 12, 2008

MOB Update

Okay, here's the latest in the ongoing saga of the dress I'm wearing to my daughter's wedding. I know you have been on pins and needles waiting for this important news. I even have a photo.

But first, I must tell you about one of the best things that has happened to me since I started living in Michelle, my RV. (BTW, I rechristened her Michelle because she's "my shell," my little home that I carry around with me.) Anyway, you'll recall that I bought five dresses "on spec" about two weeks ago. My daughter and I narrowed down the choices to either the brown one or the teal one. I was waiting for the MOG (Mother of Groom) to buy her dress because she is hard to fit and has fewer options.

Well, she chose a charcoal gray suit, which I didn't feel would be a good "match" with either of my choices: certainly not the brown, but the teal was a little too muted and grayish looking. So yesterday I took all five back to Ross with the intention of seeking out yet another option. I gathered up the five three-piece dresses and drove to Ross, arriving at about 10:30 a.m. I didn't have much time because I had to be back downtown by 11:30.

As soon as I got to the checkout I realized I didn't have my receipt with me. I tried to get the sales associate to let me return all five dresses, after which I was going to spend just a few minutes trying on a few different colors in hopes of finding something that would look good with charcoal gray in the wedding photos. Easy-peasy.

Wrong. All I could get for my purchases without the receipt was store credit. Just what I don't need: a $182 store credit at Ross! I gathered up my 20 pounds of dresses and headed for the door, disappointed about my spoiled plans and mad at myself for forgetting the receipt. As I walked through the door the thought in my head, I kid you not, was "Now I have to drive all the way back home to get my receipt."

I'm sure you're smarter than I am and have already figured out what happened next. I took two steps through the door of Ross Dress For Less into the bright sunshine of a beautiful fall day in the mountains and there it was! My home! Sitting the parking lot! I laughed out loud as, with a new spring in my step, I walked home, all of about 30 yards. Woo-hoo!

I found my receipt (Actually it took a good 15 minutes to accomplish that little feat: how many places could it be in a 19-foot motorhome?), went back into the store, found four more dresses to try on, put them on hold, got my $182 back, and made it to my 11:30 appointment.

For me, this is where the story gets even better. My appointment was to emcee the 3rd Annual Asheville PrideFest. I had intended to wear my MOB dress as part of the "act" I had written: you know, the schtick the emcee does between acts to keep the audience entertained while the performers set up. Now I had to find something else to wear plus put on stage make-up, all in ten minutes (fortunately I had already done my hair).

In the past I would have had to drive home, rush around, and then drive to the venue. All I did yesterday was drive the RV from Ross to the venue, park in the designated parking lot, and take care of business. I was so excited! This driving your house around is da bomb!

And so it continued. My next activity was a wedding shower at 6:30 in another part of town. Between getting off from the emcee gig and having to be at the shower I visited with friends, drove back to Ross where I tried on all four dresses and found the perfect one: purple, my daughter's favorite color, and one of mine also, then drove to my daughter's house so she could confirm that I had made a good choice. She loved it. "Where are you going now?" she asked.

"To a wedding shower at Martin's Pizza in River Ridge," I told her.

"So are you going to change in their parking lot like you did at the other one?" she asked.

OMG! I hadn't really thought of it, but yes, that's exactly what I did, and I had a few minutes to have "a little lie down" before the party started. What a life. I am not only MOB, I am QOW: Queen of the World.

No comments: