The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Puppies, Kitties, Chanting

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
- C. S. Lewis

Wow, religion and politics in as many days. When my sister Marcia pointed this out to me in a comment, I told her those are the things that are on my mind. She says I might want to write about puppies and kitties today. But look at today's Peace Quote above; it fits so well with the lessons I'm trying to learn.

When I was preparing to leave Asheville I asked a friend for some "chant music" for the road. Her spiritual practice includes more formal meditation than mine and I was sure she had some appropriate music to accompany her sitting. My favorite CD from her is "Dakshina" by Deva Premal, a German-born woman with a lovely alto voice who sings Hindu chants. Here's one of my favorite cuts from the album. I recommend that you just listen and not get hung up on what it means (no, that's not a swastika). I love it for the music and the voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SUoY-bfweg

If you want to see what she looks like, here's another Youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOXRchcHek


I'd rather stay here and write a poem for you but it's 2 p.m. and I must go up to Shoreline and dump my holding tanks. I should have done it yesterday. Tomorrow is another day.


2 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I'm not always 'into' what you're talking about, but do appreciate and respect the fact that YOU are, and enjoy reading about it.

The voice is indeed lovely and haunting, but honestly these chants just begin to irritate me in about a minute. No offense intended.(And in all fairness, I should mention that I listen to a lot of stuff that my daughter finds irritating in about a minute!) I do have a tape of Gregorian Chants that I enjoy, and some flute music that totally relaxes and soothes me.

What a cute puppy and kitty!

Embeedubya said...

Thanks for the ADORABLE puppy and kitty! The person who has those animals is lucky indeed. The only thing that would make it better is if he/she also had a beagle and really fat black cat.