The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Thursday, July 2, 2009

It's the Now Again

The high note is not the only thing.
- Placido Domingo

If you're reading this on Facebook, I've included the Daily Peace Quote above, there being no sidebar on FB, because the wise words of P. Domingo are the text for today's "homilita" (that's Spanglish).

When I began my journey of discovery a year ago this month, I decided I would blog for all those folks who kept saying, "Now you keep in touch, y' hear." (That's how they talk in North Carolina, after which they say, "C'mere and let me hug yer neck.") I finally summoned the nerve to write my first post in September. It contained, among other random yet oh, so interesting ruminations, the question of what I would do to make the world a better place while enjoying the selfish pleasures of retirement.

Here's the simple truth about that: making the world a better place is not only about the world, it's about me and what I need to feel good about myself. Because making the world a better place comes with recognition for my accomplishment and for me, Recognition=Contentment.

What I have learned, with the help of Eckhart Tolle, is that learning to be in the Present is the greatest accomplishment of my life, and that that alone will help the world more than all the committees, marches, drives, campaigns, donations of time and talent, petitions, solicitations, letters and phone calls combined. And what's more, I don't need to be recognized by anyone but myself in order to be contented. If you don't believe me, read A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, and try it for yourself. Or ask Oprah.

By the way, Eckhart has a new TV series you can subscribe to online (for a fee) at http://www.eckharttolletv.com/. If you have never seen or heard him, you may be surprised by this little beige, unprepossessing man with the British/German accent and the subtle sense of humor. He lives near here, in fact, in Vancouver, BC. Here's a little YouTube sample for you to try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwr4zCuEmw0, which is taken from a PBS show and is introduced by two women who set it up for you.

Singer/songwriter Bill Staines reiterates what Mr. Domingo says:

All God's critters got a place in the choir
Some sing low, some sing higher
Some sing out loud on the telephone wire
And some just clap their hands, or paws
Or anything they got.




What is the sound of one bee clapping?

1 comment:

Beebo said...

'Preciate you making the world a better place. Now get on down here so I can hug yer neck!