The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Friday, July 31, 2009

This and That

That is a banana slug.





This is a sonnet.


Sonnet for a Blog About Being Lila

Fourteen lines to rhapsodize about love,
Ten syllables in each line to move you,
Make you whimper, look to the stars above
For answers, and then sigh as lovers do.
Fiddle-dee-dee to all of that, and yet
Some find that love can be the sweetest thing
That humankind may know (and then forget),
If love’s object is right and true feeling
Takes away all doubt. I only know it’s
Hard to find my way through love’s bright meadow
Without stumbling and sometimes throwing fits.
I count to ten but still I stomp and bellow,
I am a happy single lesbian!
Oh dear, an ending rhyme now: thespian?


July 31, 2009
Fort Bragg, CA


This is better than that, don't you think?

2 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

Banana slug? I never knew there was such a thing!

Ok, out of respect for your talent, I read the sonnet maybe six times, and finally got the hang of it and actually understood it. But I still don't see the point and purpose of sonnets. Why go to so much trouble for something that can be said more easily in just conversational form!

No disrespect intended to anyone who writes and loves sonnets.

Embeedubya said...

Bravo to the sonnet! Even followed the Shakespeare ABAB GG form. Not easy! Unfortunately, I had to read it while trying not to puke at the sight of a banana slug! Did I ever tell you about the slug in the cat food bowl? I could hear it crunching as it ate. I swear!