The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Friday, July 24, 2009

Next Stop: Bend


It's just after Noon on Friday and I'm still pondering my next move. Do I go straight to Bend, Oregon, to visit my niece and attend my friend Patti's next reading (I was at her Portland reading last night), or do I swing south first and visit the capitol building in Salem? Gotta have that postcard, don't I? (BTW, the capitol building in Olympia was closed by the time I got there so this is my souvenir photo of the capital of Washington.)


Okay, then which road to Bend? Google maps shows that one road seems to be a bit bigger, and perhaps less curvy than the other. Since I will have to go over mountains to get to Bend, I want to choose the easiest route. I'll ask for travel advice in Salem.

After Bend I'm off to the redwood country of northern California for an extended visit with my Asheville friend Kali's sister, Marilou. I plan to take the coast highway and enjoy some incredible scenery along the way, which I'll share.

Gotta get goin' so that sonnet will have to wait...

No comments: