The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pass Me Another Hot Dog, Tom

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true.
-Thomas Paine

I'm still ambivalent about the flag, but not about Independence Day. That's the kind of commemoration I can get into, "Question Authority" being one of my favorite mottos. Of course, when I became the authority--and an untrustworthy one, at that--upon attaining the ripe old age of thirty, that was a peanut of a different color: it was 1977 and poor ol' Jimmy Carter was in charge--and my daughter was born.

If the Revolutionary part of our founding as free and independent states could have been accomplished without the War part I'd be even more keen, but you can't make a hot dog without grinding ox lips, so I guess it was for the best in the long run.

The other day I heard an interview with Christopher Hitchens on NPR's Talk of the Nation. He's the author of a new book about the influence of Thomas Paine on the French Revolution as well as the American, entitled Thomas Paine's Rights of Man: A Biography. It is the latest in the publisher's series on "Books That Changed the World." Hitchens makes Paine's life sound like a movie screenplay (not necessarily a bad thing) and I wanted to rush right out and get a copy.

The writings of Paine himself are among a select few from that long ago time that are still in print. You can probably find Common Sense and Rights of Man in any book store. I've read books on Adams and Jefferson (my trip to Monticello was akin to a spiritual experience) and I think a biography of Paine should be on that list. The Paine quote above is a favorite of mine from my days as a staunch Unitarian Universalist. He also wrote a more oft-quoted line: "These are the times that try men's souls." Everybody's used that one.

If you haven't read about the Revolutionary War since high school, and if you particularly don't care for non-fiction (David McCullough's works being my first choice), I recommend a novel about John and Abigail Adams entitled Those Who Love by Irving Stone. It's an easy read and provides good historical background.

Have a great holiday and don't burn yourself.




1 comment:

Embeedubya said...

Or watch the wonderful HBO miniseries "John Adams," based on David McCollough's book. Also has a great featurette on McCollough.