The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Thursday, April 30, 2009

Good Days

This is one of those posts that will probably appeal only to family and close friends, and only then because I'm sure they are totally enthralled with everything I do. It also may appeal to people who:

  • like Perkins Restaurant but haven't been there in a long time
  • are interested in the obscure architecture of Minneapolis
  • like to gloat because they are enjoying Spring in its fullest flowering
  • have a passion for New York City memorabilia

Okay, I know you must fit into two or three of those categories at least, and can't wait to read on, so here goes.



This is the dessert menu at Perkins. I opted to take home a Cranberry Nut cat-head muffin (I took a picture of the bag I carried it home in, too, but I'll spare you that).

This is the building where I go twice a week to have acupuncture. I must give them a plug, for your benefit as well. A few years ago I discovered acupuncture as a treatment for tendonitis (the link lists many conditions that can be treated with acupuncture), after a friend told me he had only three sessions for his neck pain and was completely cured. So whenever I feel the need to have my Chi jump-started, I go in search of a practitioner I can afford (the going rate is about $60 a session, which is too much for me). My first practitioner, back in Asheville, was a woman just out of training who just wanted to help people while she got her "real" practice going. The second was a student at an Asheville School of Chinese Medicine (who told me to eat more millet--ugh). Now I go to Three Treasures Acupuncture in Minneapolis, just while I'm in town. I got hooked up with these folks through the Community Acupuncture Network. These "clinics" are located all over the country and they charge on a sliding scale (I pay only $15 for each session). Check it out!


Okay, here's your chance to gloat over my having to have hay fever all over again now that I have arrived in the cold northland. You are probably going swimming already! I'm wondering if I will have to do Spring again when I go through the Montana Rockies in June. Sheesh!

This is my present from Rita on her return from The Big Apple, where she went to meet family for a concert by her nephew and the orchestra of The Curtis Institute at Carnegie Hall (not too shabby). She got to go to New York and I stayed here to eat at Perkins, have needles poked into me and sneeze. It's all good.

No comments: