The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Facebook: Finally Good for Something

Are you on Facebook? I've been very ambivalent about it since I joined. There's a lot of junk (to put it mildly) but sometimes you get a gem. It depends on who your "friends" are, I've discovered.

Ever since adding Corey Mesler, owner of Burke's Books in Memphis and a high school friend of my brother's, it seems there are fewer goofy quizzes online; I guess because Corey seems to fill the space with "book stuff." Then I decided to add Patti Digh (a no-brainer, right? You know I love me some Patti) with all her friends' comments, and I'm feeling better about being part of yet another communication medium that I was putting off . (No offense meant to all my other FB friends, really.) OMG, what next, Twitter? Not.

Today I got the best message I've had in a long time, from a friend of Patti's. Here's the link. You MUST read this if you have ever been in a serious, committed relationship that didn't last, or you're in a great relationship now, or you hope to be in one. The woman who wrote this is brilliant.

1 comment:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I've been on FB for six months, and have a love/hate relationship with it. At first it felt stupid, then it felt high schoolish, then exciting to be in touch, then boring (I mean, really, who cares if Joe is tired or glad it's Friday).

I enjoy seeing tidbits about and photos of long distance relatives and friends, but beyond that it is just mind numbingly boring and a waste of time.

I like to read and write PARAGRAPHS. It doesn't have to be earth shattering news, just interesting/educational/informative/entertaining.

Please, people, I beg of you ... write in complete sentences, and whenever possible do a paragraph!

Oh, I'm sorry, you only asked if we were on FB, not to do a rant!