The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Moving Day

I've been parked on the street near Greg's condo since a week ago Friday, all that time searching for a more "permanent" home, where I can plug into the big grid and juice up: microwave and computer being the really important appliances that make a home a home. I'm going up to Edmonds this afternoon (pop. 40,000; 87% white; median family income $85,000) to check out the home of a woman who is a retired substance-abuse counselor now working as a writer. I don't know what she writes but it impresses the hellouta me that she calls herself one.

So today I took my camera on my last walk in Madison Park. But instead of filling up all this space with photos I'll put them into a slideshow in the right sidebar. I'm also going to see if I can put them into a Picasa link so you can enlarge them for better viewing. A fellow blogger has done that so I am going to her blog and see if I can figure it out.

I will, however, share just a few photos in case you don't want to open the album. One is for my blogger friend Linda who likes flower photos. Here are those lavenders we talked about, and some other purple stuff...


And a photo of a house that's for sale here in the Madison Park neighborhood, which is sandwiched between the Arboretum and Lake Washington. It's really a lovely neighborhood, with homes, condos, apartments, shops (even a hardware and a grocery store), salons, coffee shops, restaurants, bars: just about anything you would need can be found here except a library, a post office and an adult bookstore--which I don't need but you might).

This fine home can be yours for a mere $1,695,000. Taxes: $14,231. (Seattle, in case you're interested, has a population of 595,000 in the city and 3.2 million in the metro; 74% white; median family income $62,000).

This last one is for my older siblings (the "little boys" were not old enough to remember). As I passed this hedge a very familiar scent stopped me in my tracks. This is the species of hedge that was in front of our first home in Davenport, Iowa, where we lived from about 1951-1957. Ours didn't look like this because Dad used to keep it trimmed to about four feet tall and perhaps 18 inches deep, but sometimes, maybe right before the first spring trimming, the flowers would come out. Frankly, they stink, but it's a childhood thing, you know?


Okay, I lied. Here are two more pictures that I couldn't resist showing you, and they need an explanation. If you look near the top of this "tree" you'll see a streetlight poking through the leaves.

Here's what it looks like inside...


Pretty cool, huh? More soon, from Edmonds, WA, home of Rick Steves, the travel guy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're my new hero,how I envy you and your quest! Went to the Doc today and found that I've lost 34lbs.However,I still weigh over 300lbs.[316]so the fight continues.

Wander to the Wayside said...

Lavender, my favorite! (Did I mention the sad sad news that my humongus lavendar out front died this summer? Probably a result of last summer's drought.) You can't miss that shade of flower at any distance!

I love Rick Steves!

Embeedubya said...

Hell, we got light poles like that all over the place. It's called Kudzu. I spent last weekend yanking it out of the holly bushes, nandina bushes, dogwood trees and fences. It damned near got Trixie!