The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Monday, June 29, 2009

Oh Those Lazy Days of Summer

I'm back in Seattle, in a neighborhood known as Columbia City, an older part of town than Madison Park, with little ethnic businesses and people who don't all look alike. I'm staying with my new friend Diane on top of a hill (but flat parking--woo-hoo) with a great view of the city and the Cascade Mountains. It's not a good day for a photo--kinda hazy--so I'll try tomorrow, although the temperature is predicted to be in the high 70s to low 80s so it is likely to be hazy again. I certainly can't complain about the weather. It's been glorious!

Today I took a walk through Diane's garden, which is indescribably delicious so you'll just have to look at the slideshow (sidebar). Then I walked down a really big hill (and back up--ugh) to scout out the local availability of a grocery store, etc. What luck: Safeway, Starbucks (and even better, Tully's Coffee Cafe, which has FREE WiFi), Walgreens, Hollywood Video, Taco Bell...everything a girl could want, including several ethnic restaurants and a tiny grocery store run by a beautiful dark-eyed, caramel-colored woman who would let me take her picture but wouldn't look at the camera.

Here's perhaps my favorite photo of Diane's garden (I love all the little tiny plants growing from cracks and crevices) and a poem that doesn't do it justice either.

Diane’s Garden: Act Two

Walk gently in June
In Diane’s later garden
Tip-toe along the path where
Perhaps
Tulips had bowed fresher cups
In homage to faded Daffodils in the pit
Great golden horns that trumpeted
A silent score
To herald the Awakening
And blasted sunbeams soon lilac-scented
Into spectrum shards that glaze the greens
(Act I following the Crocus Overture).
I arrive late due to a previous engagement
Feel my way between the rows
Excuse myself for stepping on toes
(Oh the Baby Tears they flow)
A tiny orb-weaving usher holds me
Behind a silken rope
While a hummingbird scolds me
From the box seats.
Sans playbill I can only guess
Names of players
The script I know
Characters great and small
Nodding pointing climbing creeping
Across an igneous stage
Wardrobe bright or fading
Buttons and bows
Flounces and frills
Everyone on cue now
Take a bow
Bravo!

June 29, 2009
Seattle


2 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

Enjoyed the whole post and walk thru the neighborhood ... but did you hear my gasps of shock and awe over that garden? Did she create this herself or inherit it? Does she tend it herself? Ab-so-lute-ly gorgeous!

Embeedubya said...

My favorite part of the garden is Mondo Meats. Did that require much cultivation?