The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Friday, June 19, 2009

Finally, the Rain

I've been in Seattle rain before. It's not nearly as menacing as Houston rain, which comes down in buckets and fills the underpasses so your car becomes a boat while you're trying to get home through rush-hour traffic. In fact, the Seattle rain I've experienced is such a gentle misting rain that you hardly need an umbrella. It's a small price to pay for the luxuriant foliage that thrives in this climate.

Greg and I didn't make it to Whidbey Island but we went to Kubota Garden, which was started in 1927 by a Japanese immigrant and protected from development in 1981 when the core 4.5 acres were designated a historic landmark. What a lovely spot. I've always enjoyed Japanese gardens (if you go to this link, just press 'cancel' if it tells you to download Japanese language), and even though this one is a bit more...well... more...than I have seen other places, it's unique plantings soon filled up my camera's memory. I'll bore you with only a few photos.





You see what I mean about "more?"

In honor of my visit to the garden, and despite the fact that my sister says Haiku is "cheating," here's another:

Seattle Spring

In Seattle spring

Riotous color abounds

Green both king and queen


June 19, 2009

Seattle


And here's that photo from the living room window (actually the balcony) that I promised. Don't you love the little table and chairs at the end of the dock?

1 comment:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I see what you mean by "more"! It seems to have grown beyond peaceful, simple, and relaxing! But lovely anyway.