The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Sunday, September 20, 2009

Catching Up Again...Again

It certainly is easy to get busy with other things: sleeping, eating, sight-seeing, helping my brother organize his photos, making earrings with the beads I bought in Sedona, organizing my own photos and sending them to friends and family, etc. It's not that I don't think of you often, you know, I just keep putting you down a bit farther on the To-Do List. Please don't be mad; I couldn't bear it. (Is anybody out there?)

The photos are up, so I'll try to give a bit of commentary to go along with them. BTW, another tip about viewing the slide show: when you open the blog page the slideshow begins a couple seconds later, and since I try to put them in the order that they were taken (usually), you might want to view them in the correct order for them to make the most sense. I've explained how to do this before, but here's a refresher if you need it:

Single click on any photo. It will enlarge and show in the upper left corner which slide it is (e.g., 3 of 42). You can either use the arrows above the photo to move back or forward to the beginning, or you can choose 'View All' and the entire gallery will open up. Then click on the slideshow icon, the farthest left one above the photo gallery, and the first photo will enlarge and the slideshow will run. A menu bar will appear at the bottom of the slide so that at any time you may increase the viewing time of the slides (e.g., in order to read the captions more easily) by increasing the seconds (click on the + sign). The default is 3 seconds but you can change it to any number. Or you can view the slides individually for as long as you like by NOT choosing the slideshow icon and just clicking on the arrows.

Anyway, here's what happened after I left Seligman (pronounced with the accent on the middle syllable, by the way). I drove to Flagstaff on I-40 where I met up with my brother Steve at his house,

and with my brother Larry who had arrived by car from Memphis the previous day with Steve's son Austin. They had taken the scenic route through Utah and Monument Valley, a trip that is definitely on my agenda for next year.

Larry appeared to be suffering from some unknown malady that was causing a hacking cough (Austin had some kind of crud, too) so he was feeling rather puny. The next day I stayed at the house with him (I was feeling a bit under the weather myself) while Steve and Austin drove to Phoenix (some two hours south) to pick up the rest of the Wellses at the airport: my youngest brother Jay and sister Marcia.

Next day all except Larry did some sight-seeing in Flagstaff, shopped a bit (ugh) and Steve grilled big ol' steaks for dinner. That night Larry was up with fever and lots of coughing, which I diagnosed as the flu (swine or otherwise, I couldn't say) so everyone became hyper-alert to germs and the correct procedure for coughing, etc.

Sunday we went to Sedona by way of Jerome. Since we are all rather large people, ranging in height from 5'8" to 6'4", with girths to match, we decided to take two cars. Steve and Jay were in the lead in Steve's pickup and he led us on the "scenic route" through the back country, much of the way on an unpaved road. We talked to each other on walkie-talkies ("Checkmate King Two, this is White Rook, over") and felt just like explorers in a new land, kinda-sorta. It was an extremely bumpy, dusty road and I thought it would never end. I was driving Larry's Saturn and he and I decided that there was no way we were going to be able to keep up with Steve at the pace he had set in the pickup, so, of course, the trip was even longer. But it was mighty pretty, and so was Sedona, with the late afternoon sun on the red rocks.

Monday was Grand Canyon day but we didn't have to hurry because Steve wanted us to be there at sunset. So we stopped off at Sunset Crater Volcano (the whole area is jumping with currently-dormant volcanic activity), two native pueblo ruins, and a roadside native crafts stand on the way.

Brother Steve traveled to Grand Canyon from Memphis with a group of friends (sometimes including brother Larry and son Austin) every year from about 1981 until he moved to Flagstaff permanently in 2001. He's probably traversed every known trail, and run the river twice, so he knew exactly where he wanted to take us for our first view. He had his spiel all worked out as well, about how Coronado and his men came to America in search of the Seven Cities of Gold, dispatching Garcia Lopez de Cardenas to find a large river they had heard about. De Cardenas led his men through the scrub pinion and juniper, right up to the edge of the biggest hole in the ground they had ever seen. They saw the river far below them, estimating from the rim of canyon that it was about 10-20 feet across (it is actually about 100 yards wide) but they couldn't find their way down to the river, possibly because their native guides were not anxious to show them the way, and so were forced to move on. It would be another 200 years before two Spanish priests explored the Canyon again, and another 100 years until Major John Wesley Powell led a Colorado River expedition through Grand Canyon, mapping and studying its geology as he went.

We ended the day at Mohave Point, next to last stop on the shuttle that runs westward along the south rim. Again, Steve led our little expedition through the scrub to the edge of the Canyon, this time far above what has become known in our family as Ryan's Peak. Ryan was Steve's younger son, who was killed in a car crash on Labor Day, 1999, at the age of 15. His ashes are mixed with the soil of Grand Canyon on top of the little peak. We stayed until the sun turned the rocks to gold and finally sank into the western sky. Rest in Peace, young Ryan.

3 comments:

Embeedubya said...

Great pix -- and you got the names of things! I couldn't remember any of them. Oh, and it's nitpicking, but you got your days wrong. We went to Snowbowl Sunday, Sedona Monday, Canyon Tuesday. Jay and I weren't there for the steak dinner. And you forgot to mention the burgers we brought you from the Mexican restaurant.

Wander to the Wayside said...

Aaaah, families! What a great adventure to share - wish I could have been there! My husband has a step-sister who lives in Sedona, and I have an ex-brother-in-law that lives somewhere around there, and they both love it. I lived in Colorado for fifteen years after I married David, and we never once ventured out that way, though we talked about it all the time. How stupid is that!

And yes, I've been out here, waiting patiently for you to return. Glad you're back, and hope that you've been rejuvenated and inspired by the visit with your loved ones. Have you decided to keep on with the traveling, or are you going to nest for awhile?

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos ...but I haven't finished looking at the other ones yet (only made it halfway thru.). I guess I'd better get busy ...

Wander to the Wayside said...

Just looked at the slide show...wish there had been more people pics, like of you with your family!