The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Monday, May 18, 2009

It's Official: I'm Retired

The crucial disadvantage of aggression, competitiveness, and skepticism as national characteristics is that these qualities cannot be turned off at five o'clock.
- Margaret Halsey

I did it: I applied for social security retirement benefits today. The amount of money I will receive each month, beginning in September, might cover Heidi Klum's tanning spray but fortunately, I have learned to live frugally (friends and family might say I've taken mooching to a new level, but...whatever).

I'm just thankful I don't have to wait until I'm 66 to retire, like a good friend who, at 65, has a big mortgage on a house she can't sell until the market turns around, and who also needs her employer-paid health insurance. I gave up health insurance for a mortgage in 2003 and have decided to continue living without it until Medicare kicks in. I'm in good health, take no medications, exercise daily, meditate and keep my chi flowing with weekly acupuncture. The best thing I do for my health: no job = no stress. That stuff will kill ya!


Next best thing I do for my health: hang out with my friends. Try it.

1 comment:

Embeedubya said...

Oh, shut up. Reminder: you're old. (Yes, I'm jealous. ET's first check should arrive next month.)