The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust




Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sharing

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.- Mark Van Doren


Before my sister reminds me that I haven't updated my blog, here are a few words for Tuesday, May whatever, 2009.

A couple of things have happened, or are scheduled to happen, that are worth mentioning. One is that I've been invited to provide a silent auction item for the National Women's Music Festival, so I'm going giving a gift certificate for a pet portrait. I won't be in Wisconsin in July but thanks to the magic of the internet I can still participate and get some free publicity. Sounds like fun, huh?

I guess the thing I'm most excited about is that I will be a presenter at the 2009 RVing Women Annual Convention in San Antonio. Of course, I didn't do anything spectacular in order to be invited to lead a workshop, like discover a cure for the uncontrollable urge to sit around and watch Turner Classic Movies all day (not something I myself suffer from but maybe you do). The way one is chosen for this great honor is merely to fill out an application. Actually, I'm doing two sessions: Tai Chi for Back & Balance, and Whole-group Book Discussion: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle.

I learned Tai Chi from a wonderful teacher in Asheville, Crayton Bedford. He has spent many years doing Tai Chi and I actually have the audacity to believe I can teach it after taking one course. Well, that's what trainers do, and since I'm a trained trainer (ret.), I feel I can teach what little I know. The few moves I learned from Crayton have certainly helped me, so why not pass it along in a small way?

As for the Eckhart Tolle session, the same applies. I certainly don't claim to be any kind of expert but I thought a book discussion would be a good way to encourage more people to stop thinking and connect with the Universal Consciousness. I'm going to divide the class into small groups so that everyone gets an opportunity to talk about the concepts in the book.

Of course, my ulterior motive in leading workshops is meeting RVing women more easily. There's nothing like being the center of attention for making new friends. I've discovered that being depressed in places where I used to be happy has a lot to do with not being connected with my old friends any more. It's actually easier to be content with the nomad life in places I've never been, where there are no memories of past good times. Making new memories is better than pining away over the old ones.

The best part of being in Minneapolis has been the discovery of Veterans Memorial Park, where I do my daily walk. Last week I met a man on the walking path who was taking photos of birds. He said there was no better place in the entire twin cities metro area for birding. What luck! He had a list of at least 50 species that he had seen that day, and it wasn't even noon yet! Besides the usual suspects (Cardinals, Sparrows, etc.) I've seen Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Great Egret, Red-winged Blackbird, Baltimore Oriole, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and several other species.

Enough about birds. Bringing Up Baby is over and The Philadelphia Story just came on so I gotta go. It's a Katharine Hepburn & Cary Grant festival!

1 comment:

Wander to the Wayside said...

Love the post, love the tulips, love Turner classic movies.

I'm not "into" the same things you are as far as Eckhart Tolle, etc., in the sense that I don't practice any of that. I watched some of Oprah about it, but beyond grasping the basic concept, I just haven't embraced it for myself. But I do appreciate hearing about it, and envy your passion for it.

I also envy your nomadic life, though I don't guess I'd give up the security of my life in the suburbs unless my life was a lot different (husband,daughter and grandkids and pets gone!).